Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha is used to tone, support, and revitalize bodily functions. It has been revered over time for its dual capacity to energize and calm at the same time. Stress can cause fatigue, often manifesting as “hyper” signs like agitation and difficulty sleeping. By providing a nourishing, yet energizing effect, ashwagandha can support a healthy nervous system. With the use of ashwagandha, stress doesn’t impact the nervous system with such intensity, and the “hyper” signs of stress and agitation will naturally resolve over time.In this way, ashwagandha has a rejuvenating and calming influence on the nervous system and, consequentially, on the entire being. This quality of ashwagandha makes it a prime supplement to use in the toning and rejuvenation process. In addition to its dual energizing/calming effect, ashwagandha offers a number of benefits:
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Calms mental processes
- Fosters healthy sleep patterns
- Benefits a healthy reproductive system in both males and females
- Supports sustained energy levels, strength, and vitality, including with physical activity
- Supports a healthy back and joints
- Promotes thyroid health
- Promotes healthy functioning of the adrenals
The Science of Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha has become of interest to a number of researchers, particularly as it grows in popularity.
- It has been the subject of studies looking at the benefit on the immune system, including possible support of the immune system during radiation and chemotherapy.Used in combination with licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), safed musli (Chlorophytum borivillanum), and sesame seeds (Sesamum indicum), ashwagandha has been shown to support healthy cholesterol levels and antioxidant properties
Ashwagandha and Ayurveda
Ashwagandha is used in Ayurveda to balance vata and kapha in excess, and because of its heating, unctuous, building nature, it can imbalance pitta, and also worsen ama (toxic build-up). Ayurveda recognizes ashwagandha particularly for its building, strengthening, and nourishing nature. It is used for the same reasons as listed in the benfits section above, particularly to support healthy muscles and reproductive systems and to balance vata.